Souvenir / Tax-free Shop
Hokkaido’s souvenirs and tax-free shops
Hokkaido’s popular souvenirs
Recommended souvenir shops
Japan’s tax exemption program
Tax-free shops in Japan have received qualification of tax-free shop (place of sale for export products) from the government. Items are processed appropriately based on law. This tax-free service is limited to non-resident foreign tourists.
Money Amount Targeted for Tax Exemption
For 1 person per day per shop
- General Items：over 5,000 yen (tax excluded)
- Consumable Items：between 5,000 yen and 500,000 yen (tax excluded)
- General Items＋Consumable Items：between 5,000 yen and 500,000 yen (tax excluded)
Products Subject to Tax Exemption
Medicinal products, Cigarettes, Cosmetics, Foods (including confectionary and snacks), Beverages (including alcohol), Other consumable goods
Bags, Clothes, Watches, Shoes, Accessories, Cameras, Video cameras, Electrical appliances, Tableware, Other daily necessities
Flow of the tax-free shopping process
Go through procedure at the service counter or TAX free counter.
- Items will be wrapped in a special bag that is not to be opened for use for the duration remaining in Japan. Do not open until leaving Japan.
- The taxed amount is reimbursed in cash.